Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Six Months of Odie


Six months ago today I adopted this little 10-year-old blind pooch. Odie started off his stay here sleeping most of the time. Actually I think he slept for about 2 weeks straight. He would startle in his sleep and launch himself across the room disoriented and confused. This went on for months. He launched himself off the bed several times and into the occasional wall.

He went through a phase of territorial marking (pooping around the house) and fear aggression. That scared the crap out of both of us!

I enlisted the help of a trainer, Marlene from Bark Busters, and she taught me how to maintain my space while Odie was losing his. Odie acted out and put on a couple of really good shows but has now relaxed and knows that there is nothing he has to defend. Marlene was awesome in showing me how see him through all that fear and bravado. I also took cues from my cats, who, surprisingly, had very little adjustment to him. It’s like they knew he was coming all along…hmmmmm.



Odie has come to enjoy and trust his new home. We have both come such a long way!! In great words of wisdom my sister Jennifer told me, during an “I hate my dog” freak out, just wait until he’s been with you 6 months! It seemed so far away and completely intangible. But today, here we are the day before Thanksgiving! We bond more and more every day! He eats treats (that took 5 months) and walks very well…. there were some dragging episodes (me dragging him…). He spent some time in a crate and now has full run of the house, leashless, by day and sleeps with me all night. We both have so much to be thankful for in our meeting! Both of our lives have changed tremendously since his arrival.

Odie has begun to snuggle a little bit more and I think we will enjoy the cold Chicago nights cozied up (4 cats and a dog, who needs the heat on!?!). Soon enough it will be spring and we will be celebrating our 1-year anniversary! Until then, we are off to Albuquerque for Christmas. Odie has landed in the lap of luxury and adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment